AstraZeneca is a global, innovation-driven biopharmaceutical business that focuses on the discovery, development and commercialization of prescription medicines for some of the world's most serious diseases. But we're more than one of the world's leading pharmaceutical companies. At AstraZeneca, we're proud to have a unique workplace culture that inspires innovation and collaboration. Here, employees are empowered to express diverse perspectives - and are made to feel valued, energized and rewarded for their ideas and creativity.
The goals of the global R&D Information (RDI) organization are to enhance R&D productivity and decision making by improving the scientific and commercial information discoverability, accessibility and connectivity, regardless of source or format. This is done through partnering with IMED (Innovative Medicines & Early Development) and GMD (Global Medicines Development) teams and providing world-class expertise in Informatics and Scientific Information & Technology solutions to accelerate the drug pipeline. Focus is on developing the information platform and informatics tools to support drug project teams.
The assembly, evaluation, interpretation and utilization of existing information sources such as literature, databases, patents and public domain resources plays a key role in the evaluation of drug targets, translational strategies including biomarker discovery, human target identification & validation, personalized healthcare, clinical trial design and interpretation, in-silico modeling and the use of patient outcome information in drug R&D. Delivering the RDI portfolio of projects and services needs people with hybrid skill sets of technical ability and knowledge of the R&D processes. We are seeking multi-talented individuals able to contribute and lead aspects of our informatics strategy & portfolio. In addition, successful candidates will be expected to be adaptable, able to contribute to a wide range of R&D informatics activities, including direct drug project information support as well as development of strategic plans and platform build activities. This position is open to internal and external applicants and will be based in Cambridge, UK, one of AstraZeneca’s three global R&D hubs.
In this position you will be part of an RDI team that supports a functional area of R&D, either in the pre-clinical or clinical domain, and you will be responsible for identifying, defining and developing analytical services to support drug projects, as well as providing strategic guidance and creating strong alliances with external experts to drive innovation in optimal utilisation of data, information and knowledge. You will lead informatics initiatives and guide more junior colleagues. We are seeking experienced and innovative informaticians, with strong evidence of impacting scientific decisions through integration, analysis and visualization of complex data from multiple internal and external sources. You will have a proactive approach to solving information challenges at both a tactical and strategic level.
This role will be based in Cambridge, UK.
Key accountabilities/responsibilities for this role will include:
- Leading and supporting information exploitation activities including integration, innovative technology solutions and analytics, essential for R&D decision-making.
- Exploiting pre-clinical and clinical trial data to enable evidence-based decision making and biological and scientific interpretation
- Producing, analyzing, interpreting and evaluating critical information for drug projects and/or functional groups (e.g. Therapy Areas)
- Merging external and internal information to derive business insights
- Developing reports and other visual representations to support data-driven decision making
- Earning the trust and respect of drug project teams of IMED and GMD functions
- Providing business analysis support for platform projects or programmes
- Working with software developers / architects to rapidly and iteratively develop tools for priority projects
- Working independently as well as collaborating with other informatics scientists to deliver informatics solutions
- Contributing to the development of new capabilities, algorithms, tools and services that support scientists across R&D
- Concurrent handling of multiple projects, and coordination of projects into a programme area where appropriate
- Identifying external collaborative opportunities and, as required managing such collaborations to deliver maximum value to AZ
- Building knowledge and expertise of the pharmaceutical industry and informatics trends.
- Ensuring that work is performed according to internal and external policies.
The successful candidate will have:
- Bachelors degree in a Life Science, Computer Science or equivalent area
- Strong evidence of applying innovative informatics solutions which have impacted real business and science decisions
- Significant experience in pharmaceutical (or equivalent) informatics settings
- Experience in one or more scientific domains (e.g. Biology, Pharmacology, Toxicology, Chemistry, Translational Science, Clinical Science, Healthcare, etc.)
- Significant experience of data analytics. Ability to work with complex data sets and manipulate data in order to support decision making in response to scientific and operational questions.
- Experience of utilizing visualisation tools and techniques to facilitate interpretation and decision making (e.g. commercial tools like Spotfire, QlikView, Tableau, or techniques like D3, R/Shiny etc.)
- Expertise in one or more informatics or information science capabilities, e.g. text mining, data & information visualisation, business/competitive intelligence, data mining, data modelling, data integration
- Excellent communicator - Good written and oral communication skills with fluent English verbally and in writing
- Great facilitation skills with the ability to work with others to achieve objectives
- Extremely professional approach, customer friendly and amenable
- High degree of Influencing and Innovation skills
The following are also desirable:
- PhD or MSc in biomedical informatics, computer science, engineering or a related discipline
Scientific domain knowledge and experience in at least one of the following therapeutics areas: Oncology, Neuroscience(CNS/Pain), Cardiovascular, Gastrointestinal, Infection, Respiratory & Inflammation
- Programming/scripting awareness, skills or experience (e.g. Perl, Python, UNIX shell, Excel VBA, Pipeline Pilot, R, SAS etc.)
- Recognised informatics expert by external community (both within and beyond the pharmaceutical industry)
- Familiarity with key Information Science sources (both academic and commercial)
- Diverse systems and platforms experience, including Unix/Solaris, Windows, client/server, databases, cloud computing, etc.
- Experience of working in global information delivery or tool development projects.
We offer a competitve salary for this role.
The closing date for this role is midnight 2nd October 2014.