AstraZeneca is committed to pushing new boundaries in the research and development of Oncology therapy and delivering pharmaceuticals to broaden the therapeutic options available to cancer patients, making a meaningful difference in the lives of patients. We have spearheaded many scientific breakthroughs to build a solid portfolio of cancer drugs, including IRESSA™, a forerunner in the field of targeted therapies, and Caprelsa™, a targeted therapy for medullary thyroid cancer. With a world-leading set of capabilities and expertise, and a network of oncology R&D sites that spans the globe, we are in a strong position to identify and develop new approaches based on our in-depth understanding of tumour biology.
A key component in advancing the culture of AstraZeneca Oncology is our collaboration with academia, governments, scientific institutions, patient organisations, and pioneering alliances with other pharmaceutical companies. For example, we recognise the importance of flexible, transparent interactions and open engagement in relation to early data and clinical trial design. Our growing global network of strategic alliances continues to drive important advances in Oncology R&D, with regular cross-alliance symposia and science days supporting the sharing of knowledge and innovation.
At AstraZeneca, we know just how fast-paced the evolving Oncology area is. By embracing cutting-edge pharmaceutical science and taking a dynamic approach to oncology drug research and development, we are making exciting progress and overcoming intellectual and technical challenges to deliver the cancer drugs of tomorrow. We have shifted our focus from purely target-based drug discovery to an integrated patient-based approach, informed by pathway biology together with strategic investments in critical capabilities., This new focus is driving us to discover new oncology medicines that will make a meaningful difference
Candidate Focus & Challenge:
• Generate novel and testable lncRNA biomarker hypotheses across selected drug candidates in the AZ oncology portfolio through development and application of novel bioinformatics approaches to Next Generation Sequencing datasets
• Functionally characterise candidate biomarkers using cutting-edge bioinformatics techniques.
• Challenge and influence current personalised healthcare strategies across the AZ oncology portfolio
• Interface with scientists from across many disciplines while at the same time being able to work independently.
• Communicate results both within AstraZeneca via global working groups and externally at meetings and through publications in high impact journals
• Work collaboratively with other experts internally within Bioinformatics and Disease Biology groups, and externally with academic partners
Candidate Knowledge, Skills & Experience:
We are seeking a highly motivated post-doc with Next Generation Sequencing bioinformatics expertise to generate and characterise novel lncRNA cancer biomarker hypotheses across priority cancer drug candidates
• PhD level in a computational biology, bioinformatics or equivalent biology subject
• Experience of applying bioinformatics approaches to cancer datasets.
• Familiarity with Unix/Linux operating systems.
• Highly competent in one or more of Perl, Python, Ruby, Java, C/C++, R programming languages.
• Expertise in the application, analysis and interpretation of Next Generation Sequencing data particularly RNA-Seq.
• Strong interpersonal, organizational and communication skills.
• Proven ability to independently design and execute incisive experiments and interpret results.
• Good track record of driving and publishing scientific research.
• Experience of in silico lncRNA identification and interpretation
• Disease area and/or domain knowledge in Biological Sciences or similar
• Interdisciplinary background in bioinformatics/computational biology and cancer genomics .
• Experience in applying systems biology approaches to large data sets.
• Strong passion and commitment to drug discovery and delivering therapies for patients.
• Evidence of innovative approach to working and driving ideas through publication.
• A strong scientific track record, as evidenced by published or accepted papers in well recognized peer-reviewed journals, oral and/or poster presentations at scientific meetings.
• Ability to work well within a group/team environment.
This position is initially a 2 year fixed term contract.
Due to the high volume of Post Doctoral positions being advertised globally within AZ, we require you to state on your covering letter any other positions within the business globally which you have recently applied for quoting the appropriate reference number.
This role will close on 23rd December 2013
A competitive salary is offered.